ENGINEERED AQUAPONICS SYSTEMS
Establishment of Engineered Aquaponics Systems in the Rural and Urban areas for sustainable Agriculture and Food Production for the future.
What is Aquaponics?
Over the past century, our food production system has changed enormously. Much of our farming has moved from small skilled growers to multimillion-peso industries that specialize in one or two crops. While these large-scale industries can produce seemingly cheap food for consumers, the loss of diversity is taking its toll on the environment. As well as making use of a waste by-product, aquaponics also offers a potential solution to loss of diversity.
Aquaponics systems grow salad, vegetable or fruit in trays and other engineered media beds (Australian Practical Aquaponics Approach), which runs in a flowing cycle of water. As part of the cycle, the water passes through a tank of fish, and it carries with it the processed nutrients (Nitrogen cycle) from the fish. This fish wastes is a concentrated mix of nutrients and minerals, which are then absorbed by the plants.
Aquaponics is the union of hydroponics (growing plants without soil) and other media bed approach (Practical Aquaponics – MB, DWC, NFT, WB, etc.) and aquaculture (farming fish or other aquatic organisms) for a fast, efficient method of producing both plant and fish crops. Fish wastes from the aquaculture portion of the system, is broken down by bacteria (Nitrification Bacteria) into dissolved nutrients that plants utilize to grow in a aquaponic planting unit. This nutrient removal not only improves water quality for the fish but also decreases overall water consumption by limiting the amount released as effluent.
Aquaponics shares many more advantages over conventional crop production methods including:
- reduced land area requirements
- reduced water consumption
- accelerated plant growth rates
- year-round production in controlled environments
- operational efficiency with shared equipment and
- multiple crops produced simultaneously.
This growing technique reduces crop production time considerably. For example, butter head lettuce varieties can be produced in about 30 days, as opposed to the typical 60-day growing period needed under conventional methods.
High-value herbs, vegetables, and leafy greens, as well as fish, and a number of other products can be produced to meet a highly diversified market. Because aquaponics systems are often closed-loop systems, nutrient effluence is virtually non-existent, allowing agriculture to take a large step toward environmental sustainability. These benefits make aquaponics systems a viable and advantageous option for gardeners and producers who have limited space, giving more people access to locally produced, healthy foods. Thereby, AP Systems can significantly reduce logistical cost and expenses.
This publication is part of an aquaponics series with information and will cover the five most common categories of hydroponic crop production techniques, controlled environments, and mineralization.
Benefits of Aquaponics Systems
Aquaponics systems is a scientific and engineered method of food production that combines conventional agricultural practices of rearing aquatic animals in tanks and growing of plants in water devoid of soil. The following are some of the main benefits of an aquaponics system:
- Produce fresh and organic fish and vegetables with aquaponics
- Plants grow faster and taste better with aquaponics
- Produce can last longer without rotting compared to synthetically grown plants.
- Aquaponic systems are easy to build and cheap to run
- It requires 6x less space than traditional farming
- It requires 90% less water than classical farming
- Aquaponic systems are easily expandable for commercial purposes
- It’s sustainable and eco-friendly way of food production
- Aquaponics is an efficient way to produce out of season products
- It’s employing the whole family in sustainable farming
- Up to 75% more energy efficiency
- Absolute zero use of synthetic chemical fertilizers
- All year-round farming solutions regardless of climate
- No need for manual watering
- Environmentally friendly and promotes green technology
Commercial Aquaponics System - Design and Build
Transform your farm into Aquaponics Greenhouses and grow your preferred vegetables, crops, plants or flowers without worrying climate conditions.
Are you interested in implementing a Commercial Aquaponics System? Fill-up the form below.